The Hutchinson family arrived in the Knock area in 1660 when Captain James Hutchinson was granted lands at Knockballymaher as payment for his service in Cromwells New Model Army. He built a castle there and named it Rockforest. After his death the Estate was divided by his son, also James, and on his death Rockforest was left to his son James the third and a second son John inherited another part of the Estate which was to become Timoney. The mansion at Timoney was to be altered and expanded over the coming generations until in 1830 John Dawson Hutchinson completely overhauled the entire Estate. He built a fine Gothic House as its center piece along with gate lodges walled gardens and a formal landscape. The house was said to be built using the most modern methods of the time. He employed a local workforce to clear the grounds of rocks and reclaim the lands and in the general upkeep of the Estate. Hutchinson introduced a scheme whereby the workers wives would be paid rather than the men themselves so that the wages would not be wasted on drink. It proved to be very successful. His daughter, Anna, married Anthony Parker and they had a son Standish Grady John Parker who went on to inherit Timoney Park and assume the Hutchinson name.
He spent his time between Timoney and another of the family Estates at Castle Lough. The Hutchinsons remained at Timoney until the 1930s when it was divided by the Land Commission and in 1938 an auction was held there to sell off the house and contents. The Duggan Brothers Building firm eventually purchased the house in 1942 and went on to strip the house of its roof, windows and any of its valuable woodwork. 3 years later they sold their interest in the property and the land was divided between local farmers. The mansion of Timoney Park was left to fall into a ruin and it remains in that state today, although it is possible to imagine how grand it must have been by the detail of the stonework and the gatelodge which is still occupied.